The Maxi-Cosi Mico AP infant car seat is quite a mouthful to say but also a super plushy, super comfy padded car seat. I got it when my son was born and have had it with me for about fifteen months now. I wanted to share my experience of the car-seat with others who are looking at the seat, to help them make a more informed buy.
What I like about the car seat
There are several things that I love about the car seat.
- Ease of cleaning: To begin with, it’s very easy to clean – and that’s a big concern for most moms and dads who are dealing with a messy infant that may throw up their dinners on the seat. You can take off the cover and wash it in the machine and put it back on easily. The canopy and the straps can be spot-cleaned with some wipes. So, this is a big plus and the seat cover comes back from washing as good as new.
- Cushioning and support: The seat is padded in all the right places, so your baby will always be snug – no flopping around in a too-big seat like the Graco Snugride, which I’ve seen used with my sister’s daughter. It’s a good, snug fit for healthy babies and a comfortable fit for smaller ones. Since it’s important for an infant who can’t yet support himself on his spine to be snug, I think the Maxi-Cosi Mico has been designed very well in this regard. At the same time, keep in mind that the padding can be as warm as it is cozy, so cotton pajamas and onesies will be better than microfleece, which could make your baby sweat a little.
- Weight: This car-seat is very light – maybe one of the lightest there is. This is very useful because you can just carry your infant around while they sleep rather than having to wake them up every time you get in or out of the car, as is the case with convertible car seats. If weight is your biggest concern, you don’t have to think twice about it – just get the Maxi-Cosi Mico from Amazon.com.
Some issues with the Maxi-Cosi Mico
I had a few issues with the seat, though to me they were minor ones.
- Canopy: The canopy – which is otherwise very good for shading your baby from the sun – tends to pop off from time to time. This is a minor issue, since you can just pop it back on.
- Base fit and size: While the seat clicks in and out of the base very easily, it may be a problem fitting your base comfortably in the back seat of your car, depending on which car you have. You might get it to sit on the middle seat, but reaching the lever to separate the seat from the base may become a problem in that case. The good thing is that you can use the seat without the base – just strap the seat-belt on in a way that is comfortable for the baby and you probably won’t notice this extra step after you’ve done it a few times.
- Tracks below the seat: There are also 2 rubber tracks below the car-seat to prevent it from slipping around on surfaces that are hard. These tracks tend to keep coming off and they’re not easy to put back on. I ended up removing the ones on my baby’s car-seat, and you could do the same. However, remember not to place the car-seat on any high and hard surface, since it will be more slippery than usual and someone could knock the seat off the surface unknowingly.
- Compatibility with stroller: The official Maxi-Cosi website for the product says that the car-seat is compatible with Quinny or Maxi-Cosi strollers. Now I have a Bugaboo Cameleon 3 stroller and the seat fit very well on the stroller, and it’s also an easy fit into the Uppa Baby Vista stroller, which I once borrowed from my sister. It’s not so easy to take off the stroller, however. You need to have both your hands free to push the buttons and then you have to somehow wriggle the seat out. This is one design flaw that I wish the manufacturers would look into.
Overall, I’m very pleased with the Maxi-Cosi mico car seat. It’s light, cozy, and good to look at and has a great price. The pros outweigh the cons for me, but it may not for others. There may not be a perfect car seat out there, but buying a car seat is a matter of addressing your biggest concerns. If you want a lightweight, good-looking seat with some minor flaws, then this seat will be a good buy.